Friday, April 9, 2010

In Tana for a few hours to open up bank accounts, so...internet again! Training continues; we practiced making compost piles yesterday and got to try our hand at planting rice (very muddy work indeed). The garden we planted two weeks ago is sending up seedlings in every bed, which is gratifying to see and apparently surprising to the family that owns the garden, as they didn't expect to see results so fast!

I mentioned the avocados piled with sugar dessert in the last post and my mother commented, correctly, that it sounded like something I wouldn't like. The other night, my family surprised me by having unsugared mashed avocados with dinner, which made the rice taste like Mexican food (a refreshing change). I'm not sure if it was due to my mangled attempt at explaining this, but the next day they came up with another variation: mashed avocados with yogurt, condensed milk, and sugar. Surprisingly, this "guacamole yogurt" was the best dish of the three. So there, if you want to attempt some Malagasy cooking...

Yipes! Gotta go! I'll post again in 3 weeks or so!

3 comments:

  1. Um - first of all compost piles really are an art :) secondly, two weeks? Crazzzzy awesome. and finally - I just have to ask, when you say sugared avocados - do you mean they just, you know dump the white sugar on the avocados? Not saying I'd try it but :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dearest Rowan- oh how I have missed you! I'm so glad you seem to do be doing well. I have finished watching the finale of Project Runway and could only think of you and remembering our shared critiques over bottles of woodchuck. *sigh* Good times. Please make sure you let me and Tarsi know what needs to be coming to you in your care package!

    lots of love and hugs and kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @TD: I guess the sugar would be closer to raw sugar in the US, but yup, just pile a few spoonfuls on top of a half avocado, mash together, and (maybe not) enjoy!

    @Kas: Miss you too, darlin'! I'll be moving to a new address soon and will be sure to update all my mail info (including wish list!) then. And hopefully you've gotten/will get a letter in the mail (Malagasy mail permitting)!

    Will do an actual update when I'm not fighting with 25 other trainees over an internet connection!

    ReplyDelete