Monday, February 22, 2010

Contact Info

Hello family, friends, and hey, strangers too:

I know I'm living on the opposite side of the world and am not available for the usual tech-based contact, but that doesn't mean I don't want to stay in touch! I want to hear from you! I have internet access about every 2 weeks, and here's the other way to reach me:

My address at site is:
Rowan Braybrook
MBG
Anjangoveratra
Sambava (208)
MADAGASCAR

Letters and envelope packages take anywhere between 2 weeks and 2 months to get here. Boxes, maybe a bit longer, but it's surprisingly not too bad!

Snail Mail Notes:
  • Snail mail letters and pictures are greatly GREATLY appreciated, since my internet (coughcoughFacebookcough) access will be limited. Let me know what you're up to!
  • Tape packages securely so people are less likely to tamper with them.
  • Write Airmail or Par Avion on the envelope. Ground mail takes months!
  • Padded envelopes are usually the best way to go for larger things, since they're treated like letters. If you're thinking of sending something heavier, you might want to check on the price of a flat-rate box or envelope.
  • For package customs forms, declare a value of under $20 and make the content description sound boring--"used school supplies" rather than "awesome CDs". 'Religious materials' also works well.
And as requested, a wish list the I will keep updated (but feel free to surprise me!)
  • Letters and pictures! Letters are honestly almost as good as packages!
  • Drink additives like Emergen-C, On-The-Go packets or tea (favorites teas are Lady Grey, English Breakfast, Rajini, and Jasmine Green)
  • Magazines, especially current events mags like the Atlantic or the Economist
  • Dried fruit like apricots and cherries; any nuts besides peanuts
  • Any American candy, especially dark chocolate M&Ms
  • Grated parmesan cheese!!!
  • Bear Creek soup mixes (just add water) or anything similar
  • Chocolate chip cookie mix (with patience, I can make these on stovetop)
  • Salmon or tuna in pouches
  • Annie's purple box (or just Annie's cheese packets--I can get pasta here and save you the weight!)
  • Kid's books and any other educational materials I can share--for example, a wall map of the U.S., or easy books in English to give as prizes to my English Club. French-English dictionaries for the library.
Haven't had much luck with people calling my cell, but if you ask and send me your number, I'm happy to call you!

I'll keep this post updated and there's a link to it on the right sidebar.

8 comments:

  1. Rowan,

    My daughter will be there in September. Can you email me so I know what to expect with her being so far away from home. My email address is Ericwherry@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For those of you looking to send stuff on to Rowan, rumor has it that letters take around 12 days from the States.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, on a good day, yes. Two weeks or two months, there doesn't seem to be much in between!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rowan,
    Your blog is fantastic. I have learned a lot. I will be in Mada next month and have heard about a foot trail from andapa to maroantsetra. Do you know if this is possible? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    karin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karin,
    Thanks! About the foot trail--I'm sure there are local routes that go between the two, but it would be a very tough slog. There's also a route from the Antalaha area to Maroansetra through the national park, which would be easier for a visitor to travel--you'd need a guide, but it shouldn't be too hard to find one. It's a more 'touristy' area, but there are so few tourists here now that I wouldn't worry about that. Just be prepared for lots of heat and probably some rain. And let me know if you'll be in Sambava!
    Rowan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rowan,
    wow, thank you so much for replying! it's invaluable to get ground truth. I am sure we will get to Sambava, I will touch base with you once we have 'finalized' (HAHAHAH!!) our plans. I doubt anything in Mada can be finalized right?
    We are traveling in April.
    If it's easier, my email is pakonbak -at- gmail -dot- com.
    Best, Karin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Rowan,
    We are doing a lot of hiking so we can't bring anything heavy, but what are some things you might like? You mention pod-casts? Which ones NPR like Wait Wait? Please respond to my email above if that is ok. Otherwise I will check this again.
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  8. We miss you at Admissions, but it looks like you are having fun. Keep up the great work. :)
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete